ACR TerraFix 406 GPS Interface Personal Locator Beacon
Accidents happen every day in the outdoors, whether you fall out of a tree stand, break a leg during a hike, or roll over on an ATV. In the outdoors, an every day accident instantly can become a life threatening situation, and rescues may take days or weeks if you're not prepared.
Why wait days being stranded in the outdoors hoping someone will find you? Put the power in the palm of your hand with the ACR TerraFix 406 GPS Personal Locator Beacon. Now you can turn that life threatening situation into a successful rescue story. It's as easy as pushing a button!
The TerraFix works fast, if GPS data is present in the beacon's first burst, SAR forces can be notified and start planning your rescue in as little as three minutes.
Be Responsible, Be Prepared, Be Safe.
- Transmits on 406 MHz via the COSPAS-SARSAT satellite system with your registered unique, digitally coded distress signal and 121.5 MHz (SAR local homing frequency).
- GPS Interface (NMEA 0183) allows you to download your GPS coordinates from a hand-held GPS receiver into your PLB; when activated, your LAT/LON will accompany your 406 MHz signal on the first burst, dramatically saving valuable time for your distress message to reach local rescue centers.
- Smallest and most functional PLB available so it can be easily carried in a pack or pocket; small enough to be worn by skiers, hikers, hunters, kayakers, climbers, pilots or any outdoor enthusiast.
- Removable holster provides functionality, style and protection for your PLB; holster allows for multiple mounting options on backpacks, webbing, and life vests.
- Full functional self test of internal circuitry, battery power, 406 MHz transmission, and GPS* acquisition (*P/N 2798.4 only).
- Flat, stainless steel antenna wraps compactly around the unit for easy stowage; is easily positioned when needed.
- Floats to avoid loss if dropped in water, exceeds RTCM waterproof requirements.
Did you know...
406 MHz technology has been around since 1982 and is credited with saving over 18,800 lives worldwide. Initially developed for marine and aviation applications, this life saving technology has been approved for use by all outdoor enthusiasts since July 2003. In 2005, 222 people in 93 incidents are alive thanks to the SARSAT system.
It is mandatory that you register your PLB (its fast, easy & Free). When activated the unique identification code in your PLB is linked to the registration database. This way authorities can retrieve valuable information about you and your trip. Click here to register.
Responsible use guide...
The TerraFix is a satellite signaling device of last resort, for use when all other means of self rescue have been exhausted, where the situation is grave and imminent and the loss of life, limb, eyesight or valuable property will occur without assistance.
PLB Frequently Asked Questions:
Q: What does PLB stand for?
A: Personal Locator Beacon
Q: Why haven't I heard about them before?
A: They have only recently been legalized for land use in the continental US. The same technology has been saving lives on the water and used in aircraft for years.
Q: When and where do I use one?
A: You should carry one whenever you go a field and there is any chance you could get in trouble.
Q: I can see needing it for a western trip or Alaska for sure but what about the fact that I usually hunt and fish close to home?
A: Most outdoor emergencies happen close to home. Four wheelers flip, snowmobiles break through the ice, hunters fall out of trees, boats swamp, tractors tip over and trees fall on cutters every day. All close to home. Safety preparedness is about more than getting lost, its about dealing with emergencies.
Q: Why do they say PLB's take the "search" out of search and rescue? Don't they still have to look for you?
A: Sure, but the signal is capable of transmitting your location with sufficient accuracy to allow rescuers to just about pinpoint your location. Huge search parties and expensive time consuming searches are not required.
Q: Why can't I just use my cell phone?
A: Where do we start? Cell signals are seldom found in remote locations. Cell batteries always seem to quit when you need them most. Cell phones are not engineered to withstand the elements, be dropped, float or frozen. Plus, they are hard to use when hypothermic or severely injured. PLBs are made to withstand the elements, turn on easily and keep signaling until shut off by rescuers.
Q: Sounds expensive?
A: Not really, about the price of a new gun. Wives and kids like to give them for Father's Day, Christmas and birthdays.
Q: What's the difference between 2798.2 GPS Interface only and 2798.4 GPS Interface & Onboard GPS?
A: The 2798.4 GPS I/O has a GPS receiver ONBOARD. Therefore, when you activate your PLB, it will receive a GPS signal and transmit your coordinates automatically. The 2798.2 GPS I has only a serial interface for a GPS; you'll have to load your coordinates from a separate GPS receiver.
Q: What's the difference between TerraFix and AquaFix?
A: Physically, the units are the similar, but the AquaFix has a blue case and the TerraFix has a green case. Both units will function perfectly anywhere in the world, land or sea!
Q: What other ACR safety products are available?
A: You can check out the Marine Safety section on our sister site, Turtle Marine, by clicking here. There is a wide selection of EPIRBs, strobe lights, searchlights, spotlights, fume detectors, life jackets, and more.
Q: Where can I get more TerraFix information?
A: You can download the Product Support Manual from ACR in PDF format by clicking here.
"PLB FAQs" Copyright © 2006 ACR Electronics and TigerGPS.com, Ltd. All rights reserved.
- Size: 1.74 x 5.71 x 3.03 in (4.4 x 14.5 x 7.7 cm)
- Weight: 12 oz. (343 g) w/o holster; 13.3 oz. (378 g) with holster
- Operational Life: In excess of 24 hours @ - 20ºC (-4ºF), longer in higher ambient temperatures
- Batteries Type: Two lithium battery packs [2,500 mAmp Hours @ -20ºC] 5 year replacement life (11 year storage)
- Storage Temp.: -40ºC to +70ºC (-58ºF to +158ºF)
- Radiated Power: 5 watts ± 2dB (406 MHz) / 50 mW ± 3dB (121.5 MHz)
- Material: Engineered resilient impact polymer
- Color: Chartreuse with Forest Green holster
- Deployment: Manual
- Operation: Deploy antenna, press both test buttons simultaneously
- Accessories: PLB Holster, GPS Interface Cable
- Certification: FCC Approved (Model:PLB-200)
- Limited Warranty: 5 years
- U.S. Patent No. 6,501,340
ACR EPIRB & PLB Feature Matrix
|Model||#||Type||Internal GPS?||NMEA 0183 Interface?||Category Deployment||Size||MSRP|
|GlobalFix iPro Cat I||2846||EPIRB||Yes||Yes||Auto (HRU) / Manual||
15.3 x 4.2 x 3.58 in
|GlobalFix iPro Cat II||2848||EPIRB||Yes||Yes||Manual||$1300|
|GlobalFix Cat I||2742NH||EPIRB||Yes||no||Auto (HRU) / Manual||
17.5 x 4.75 x 3.5 in
|GlobalFix Cat II||2744NH||EPIRB||Yes||no||Manual||$1300|
|RapidFix 406 Cat I||2776||EPIRB||no||Yes||Auto (HRU) / Manual||
14.5 x 4.25 x 3.62 in
|RapidFix 406 Cat II||2777.5||EPIRB||no||Yes||Manual||$880|
|Satellite2 406 Cat I||2774NH||EPIRB||no||no||Auto (HRU) / Manual||$1030|
|Satellite2 406 Cat II||2775.5NH||EPIRB||no||no||Manual||$880|
|ResQFix 406||2897||PLB||Yes||no||Manual PLB / Personal||
1.4 x 5.85 x 2.21 in
|MicroFix 406||2898||PLB||Yes||no||Manual PLB / Personal||$750|
|AquaFix 406 I/O||2797.4NH||PLB||Yes||Yes||Manual PLB / Personal||
1.74 x 5.71 x 3.03 in
|TerraFix 406 I/O||2798.4NH||PLB||Yes||Yes||Manual PLB / Personal||$750|
|AquaFix 406 I||2797.2NH||PLB||no||Yes||Manual PLB / Personal||$540|
|TerraFix 406 I||2798.2NH||PLB||no||Yes||Manual PLB / Personal||$650|
EPIRBs and PLBs: How Do They Differ?
Your registration can be updated daily. Nobody sees the information unless the beacon is activated. Use the “Additional Info” field to supply rescuers with any information that will help them help you. (i.e. float plan, number of persons onboard, known health issues, allergies to medicine, etc.) Some beacon owners have added a web address in this field so rescuers can see a picture of their boat.
- Wrist / Fitness GPS
- Automotive GPS Units
- Handheld GPS Units
- Chartplotters / GPS
- Fishfinders / GPS
- Motorcycle / ATV GPS
- Two-Way Radio / GPS
- Safety & Tracking
- Camping & Outdoors