DeLorme Earthmate PN-20 Handheld GPS with Topo 8.0, 1GB SD Card & Reader
NOTE: This item has been discontinued by DeLorme. It is replaced by the Earthmate PN-30 (click here), with an improved GPS receiver and dual core processor.
DeLorme, famous for its topographic and street map detail, has created a GPS receiver to enable anyone to use a wide variety of detailed maps and aerial imagery for all outdoors activities. The DeLorme Earthmate GPS PN-20 is a low-cost, high-sensitivity, fully integrated handheld GPS that delivers capabilities previously unavailable at any price. This Earthmate GPS PN-20 Bundle adds new Topo USA 8.0 National and a 1 GB SD Card & Reader, which provides a significantly faster rate of map data transfer from Topo USA than the included cable alone.
Why the All-in-One PN-20 Handheld?
Multiple Views of the Same GPS Location
On-device data layering lets you select which map or imagery type to see of your GPS location. Switch among data types to gain a comprehensive view of where you are its revolutionary and provides a whole new level of geographic detail.
Bright Color Screen
Works in bright sunlight to total darkness. Sharp brand screen featuring the latest transflective screen technologies to maximize visibility under a variety of lighting conditions.
Rugged and Waterproof
Conforms to IPX-7 waterproof standard with impact-resistant rubberized housing for a solid grip. Concealed battery compartment with SD card slot. Includes two AA batteries.
Features STMicroelectronics chipset with SiGE RF front-end and DeLorme firmware for outstanding signal acquisition and retention. Works equally well under dense foliage or in-vehicle.
Easy Exchange of Maps, Tracks, and Waypoints
Exchange pre-cut multi-state routable regions between Topo USA on the desktop to the GPS, or select only the specific, customized areas you want - topographic maps and imagery. Exchange routes, tracks, and waypoints between the GPS and Topo USA (two-way transfers).
Extensive On-Device Memory
75MB of internal flash memory available in addition to the preloaded world base map. Holds up to ten tracks (10,000 points per track); 1,000 user-defined waypoints; and 50 routes. SD slot also available.
1-GB SD Card & Reader Included
This bundle includes the 1-GB SD Card & Reader, which are ideal for use with large files including the DeLorme Aerial Data Packets (ADPs).
What’s New in TOPO Version 8.0
- Over 300,000 new or updated U.S. streets
- Thousands of new trails
- Detailed streets and roads for Canada
- Main roads for Mexico
- More than 200,000 ADDITIONAL POIs (places-of-interest)
New In-Vehicle Navigation & Travel Features
- GPS Radar—find points of interest near your current location
- 2-D or 3-D NavMode for hands-free full-screen view while navigating in your vehicle
- UMPC mode—optimizes your screen for ultramobile PCs and small screens
- Spoken directions and voice commands
- Plan Trip option — estimate end-of-day breaks, fuel stops, and fuel cost
Advanced Geocaching Features
- If you own or purchase a PN-Series Handheld GPS, you can take advantage of several new features:
- Import Geocaching.com pocket queries using Cache Register (coming soon)
- Send-to-GPS now available for Delorme PNSeries handhelds
- See cache descriptions in full, with other cachers' log notes
- Geocaching symbols added to the PN-Series symbol set support new geocaching features on PN-Series devices
- Drag cursor to multi-select caches from Topo USA and send them directly to your GPS
- Cache names on maps are hyperlinked to their Geocaching.com pages
Existing Topo USA Features
- Four million searchable places of interest from Street Atlas USA 2008 - ideal for use on the DeLorme Earthmate GPS PN-20
- Icon categories from the DeLorme Atlas & Gazetteer paper series, including boat ramps, campgrounds, unique natural features, and much more - ideal for bringing on your PN-20 GPS
New, Flexible, Data Download Dollars
- Now includes $100 of DeLorme Data Downloads for all available datasets, now including:
- USGS Quads
- NOAA Nautical Charts
- Color high-resolution aerial imagery sources.
- Each dataset is now broken out for individual purchase (e.g., the data within Aerial Data Packets can now be obtained individually if desired, along with the other new datasets mentioned above, allowing you to create a variety of mix-and-match data downloads)
New Tools for Your Fitness Routine and Monitoring
- New routing modes for creating automatic car, bike, and foot routes with their own appropriate speed and time settings
- Profile your athletic GPS wrist computer data. Supports popular wrist computers from Timex and Suunto. Include heart-rate information and other data points in your mapping profile views linked to GPS precise locations (note: some wrist computers include built-in GPS, some require a separate GPS receiver, such as the DeLorme Earthmate GPS PN-20)
Geo-Tag Your Digital Photos
- Preserve a record of exactly where you took your digital photos - all you need is a GPS track.
- A handy wizard makes the process easy
- Enlargeable thumbnails appear on the maps
- Works with any digital time-stamped photos
Improved Geocaching Features
- Easily manage and update your geocache data files
- import .gpx and .loc files
- Include descriptions and hints from .gpx files found on geocaching.com
Performance & Compatibility
- More advanced FIND features for searching by category using keywords without constraining by known location (e.g., find all fishing within NH)
- Supports Vista operating system, including recent model Intel-chipset personal computers running Vista
What's in the Box
- DeLorme Earthmate GPS PN-20 handheld GPS receiver
- 1 GB SD Card
- USB SD Card Reader
- DeLorme Topo USA 7.0 software (3 DVD set)
- Coupon for free upgrade to Topo USA 8.0
- Pre-loaded worldwide highway and major road base map
- Certificate for $100 worth of Aerial Data Packet downloads from DeLorme (up to 400 sq. km)
- USB interface cable
- A convenient neck lanyard
- 2 AA Energizer alkaline batteries
- Comprehensive user's manual with usage scenario tips
DeLorme PN-20 Hardware Specifications
- IPX-7 waterproof standard, impact-resistant rubberized housing
- Device dimensions: 2.43" W x 5.25" H x 1.5" D
- Weight: 5.12 ounces
- New high-sensitivity NMEA-compliant 12-channel GPS receiver with low-power baseband and RF chipset
- STMicroelectronics chip technology with SiGE front-end and DeLorme firmware for faster acquisition times and outstanding signal retention
- Proprietary Kalman filter for enhanced GPS accuracy
- 75 MB available internal flash memory for user-uploaded maps
- Uses 2 AA batteries (included)
- WAAS-enabled, 12 parallel channel GPS receiver continuously tracks and uses up to 12 satellites to compute and update your position
- Warm: Approximately 15 seconds
- Cold: Approximately 60 seconds
- Update rate: 1/second, continuous
- Position: < 15 meters, 95% typical
- Velocity: 0.05 meter/sec steady state
- Position: < 3 meters, 95% typical
- Sharp high-resolution 2.2" Transflective TFT color display (220 x 176 pixels)
- SD card slot for up to 2 GB additional map storage (1GB SD card and Reader included)
- Holds up to 10 tracks (10,000 points per track), 1,000 user-defined waypoints, and 50 routes
- Microsoft Windows Vista Home/Basic/Home Premium/Ultimate/Business with 512 MB RAM
- U.S. Version Microsoft Windows XP or 2000 (Service Pack 3 and higher): 128 MB RAM (256 MB recommended)
- Microsoft Windows 98/ME is not supported with this release
- Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.01 or later
- Intel Pentium III 600 MHz or higher processor (1.8 GHz recommended)
- 700 MB of available hard-disk space
- DVD-ROM Drive
- 3D-capable video card with 32 MB VRAM
I have loaded topo maps, street maps, aerial imagery, and NOAA marine charts and the device performance in my area (New England) has been better than I see with my Garmin 60csx. But it's the included DeLorme maps and imagery that make this GPS truly astounding. I paid close to $400 for mine but have no regrets as I LOVE this GPS. This is truly the next-generation for handheld GPS. DeLorme makes the best maps -- anyone who has used their atlases knows this to be true. Another thing I like is planning the road routes I want on the included software, loading that route, which I know I can trust because I previewed it, onto my GPS and it beeps and shows Turn arrows for upcomng turns. That's all I really want or need in-vehicle. But using this off-road and also on-water is the true appeal. And ther is no extra mapping software or maps to buy -- it's all here.
p.s. I also had to call DeLorme for help and actually spoke to an American tech rep who helped me well beyond the normal support call experience.
You May Also Be Interested In...
- Automotive GPS Units
- Handheld GPS Units
- Wrist / Fitness GPS
- Chartplotters / GPS
- Fishfinders / GPS
- Motorcycle / ATV GPS
- Two-Way Radio / GPS
- Safety & Tracking
- Camping & Outdoors