Garmin GMR 40 Marine Radar for GPSMAP 3010C and 3006C DISCONTINUED
DetailsThe GMR 40 (4 kW radar with 36-mile capability) adds important radar information to a system that already includes GPS, sonar, and XM WX Satellite Weather data components, making the Garmin Marine Network one of the most comprehensive marine navigation systems on the market.
The GMR 40 (4kW radome) features a narrow 3.6-degree horizontal and 25-degree vertical beamwidth, which delivers accurate target acquisition and better penetration through rain and fog. It has a range of 36 nautical miles (nm). For fast and efficient presentation of radar signatures, raw data is processed within the radome and presented on Garmin’s GPSMAP 3006C and GPSMAP 3010C chartplotter/multifunction displays (MFDs).
Ease of Use
The GMR 40 features automatic and manual sensitivity and tuning controls, including gain, sea clutter, and rain clutterwhich allows boaters to spend less time tuning the unit and more time navigating. The unit also boasts selectable interference rejection, which mitigates the effect of nearby radar transmissions.
Once the GMR 40 is interfaced with a GPSMAP 3006/3010 MFD, it is possible to overlay radar images on the charting to help reconcile radar signatures with known objects. Users can view "radar only" or split the display for multiple views of radar and charting.
To aid in collision avoidance, the unit also offers MARPA (Mini Automatic Radar Plotting Aid) capability, which allows boaters to track the bearing, course, speed and predicted closest approach (by both time and distance) of up to 10 targets. MARPA functionality requires GPSMAP 3006/3010 MFDs and an optional heading sensor. (Garmin suggests the KVH 1000 heading sensor.)
The GMR 40 communicates with the Garmin Marine Network through a waterproof 100-megabit plug-and-play proprietary networkwhich affords users the ability to expand their boat’s system as needed. Boaters can connect a GPS antenna and one remote network sensor (like the GMR 40) directly to the MFDor with the addition of the GMS 10 Network Port Expander, users can connect multiple MFDs and network sensors to the same network.
The GMR 40: Giving boaters more confidence and enjoyment on the water.
- GMR 40 radar unit.
- Mount hardware kit.
- Power/marine network cable (15 meters).
- Cable grommet.
- Installation manual.
- Physical size/RPM: 28" diameter radome, 8" high, 24 RPM.
- Weight: 26 lbs. radome.
- Cable length: 15 meters.
- Beam width: 3.6° maximum horizontal, 25° nominal vertical.
- Power output: 2kW (GMR 20), 4kW (GMR 40).
- Power input: 10-35 Vdc, 25W.
- Maximum/minimum range: 24nm/20m (GMR 20), 36nm/20m (GMR 40).
- Range scales (range rings): 1/8nm (1/32nm) to 36nm (9nm).
- Operating temperature range: -15°C to 70°C, relative humidity up to 95% at 35°C.
- Range ring (bearing accuracy): 20 meter +/- 1.5% of range scale, whichever is greater, (1 degree).
- True or relative motion mode.
- Variable range markers: 2 user adjustable, capable of floating.
- Electronic bearing lines: 2 user adjustable, capable of floating.
- Waypoints: user waypoints and navigation lollipop, and ability to create waypoints on radar display.
- Guard zone alarm: 2 zones, user adjustable.
- Zoom mode: 2x and 4x.
- Trails: short, medium, and long.
- Timed transmit: variable transmit and standby times.
- Off center function: look ahead, auto shift, and manual.
- Waterproof: IEC 60529 IPX-7.
GMR 20 Screenshots:
Color Radar Page
With a narrower beamwidth (3.6°) than other radars in its class, the Garmin GMR 20/40 series offers more precise definition of targets.
Radar Overlay on Cartography
As an aid in locational awareness, the GMR 20/40 radar image can be overlaid on the network's moving map cartography display.
Split Screen Display - Map and Radar
The screen can be split to show overlay and standard radar simultaneously.
MARPA (Mini Automatic Radar Plotting Aid) allows tracking of speed and direction for up to 10 nautical targets in your vicinity.
- Wrist / Fitness GPS
- Automotive GPS Units
- Handheld GPS Units
- Chartplotters / GPS
- Fishfinders / GPS
- Motorcycle / ATV GPS
- Two-Way Radio / GPS
- Safety & Tracking
- Camping & Outdoors