Garmin GPS 17HVS RS232 Sensor DISCONTINUED
NOTE: This item has been discontinued by Garmin. Please use the new Garmin GPS 17x HVS (click here) instead.
The GPS 17x HVS is not a direct replacement for the GPS 17HVS. However, it is compatible with all Garmin plotters that used the older GPS 17HVS.
The GPS 17x HVS is an updated and improved version of the GPS 17HVS. It offers a high-sensitivity GPS receiver for better performance under harsh conditions. The GPS 17x HVS, unlike the GPS 17HVS, is truly NMEA 0183 compliant because it offers a RS-422 serial interface as specified in the NMEA 0183 spec. It can also be connected as a RS-232 device, just like its GPS 17 HVS predecessor, if required. In addition to conventional pole or flush surface mounting, the GPS 17x HVS can also be attached to the underside of many fiberglass or wooden decks for added ease of installation due to its high sensitivity design.
The new Garmin GPS 17HVS is designed primarily for use in marine applications and can be flush mounted in addition to pole mounted. It delivers exceptional accuracy while standing up to the harshest environment (meets IEC 60529 IPX7 standards). The 12-channel receiver allows for continuous tracking of all visible satellites - and it's WAAS capable, which means it can provide position accuracy of less than three meters (on average). This incredible accuracy is possible without the use of an external DGPS beacon receiver. The GPS 17HVS also offers excellent EMI/RFI performance for easy integration into systems that will be operated near mobile computing devices and wireless communications equipment.
This GPS receiver produces asynchronous serial data at true RS-232 levels in the industry-standard NMEA 0183 data format. This makes it ideal for interfacing to devices (such as laptops and chartplotters) that expect to hear NMEA 0183 data from a serial com port. The GPS 17HVS also is capable of producing a TTL-level Pulse-Per-Second (PPS) signal whose rising edge is aligned to the UTC second boundary within 1 uS for all conditions in which the GPS receiver has produced a valid and accurate position for at least the previous four-second interval.
Input voltage: 8 to 40 Vdc unregulated
Input current: 60 mA @ 8 Vdc; 40 mA @ 12 Vdc; 15 mA @ 40 Vdc
Sensitivity: –165 dBW minimum
Receiver: WAAS-enabled, 12 parallel channel GPS receiver continuously tracks and uses up to 12 satellites to compute and update your position
- Reacquisition: Less than 2 seconds
- Warm: Approximately 15 seconds
- Cold: Approximately 45 seconds
- AutoLocate: Approximately 5 minutes
- SkySearch: 5 minutes
Update Rate: 1 to 900 seconds between updates; programmable in 1-second increments
- Position: < 15 meters, 95% typical**
- Velocity: 0.1 knot RMS steady state
DGPS (USCG) accuracy:
- Position: 3-5 meters, 95% typical
- Velocity: 0.1 knot RMS steady state
DGPS (WAAS) accuracy:
- Position: < 3 meters, 95% typical**
- Velocity: .1 knot RMS steady state
Dynamics: 999 knots, 6g's
Map datums: 108 predefined, 1 user
- Port 1: True RS-232 output, asynchronous serial input compatible with RS-232 or TTL voltage levels, RS-232 polarity
- Port 2: Asynchronous serial input only, compatible with RS-232 or TTL voltage levels, RS-232 polarity
Baud rates: 300/600/1200/2400/4800/9600/19200/38400
- Port 1: Selectable between NMEA 0183 v2.00, NMEA 0183 v3.00, and Garmin binary formats; NMEA 0183 v2.0 (ASCII); Approved output sentences: GPALM, GPGGA, GPGLL, GPGSA, GPGSV, GPRMC, GPVTG; Proprietary sentences: PGRMB, PGRME, PGRMF, PGRMM, PGRMT, PGRMV
- Port 2: RTCM input only; RTCM SC-104 differential input message types 1, 2, 3, 7 and 9
PPS output: 1 Hz pulse, programmable width, 1 microsecond accuracy
- OFF — open
- ON — pull down to less than 0.3 Vdc
- Operating: –30° to 80°C
- Storage: –40° to 80°C
Size: 3.58" (91 mm) diameter, 3.6" (91.5 mm) high
- 7.1 oz. (201 g) without cable
- 16.8 oz. (476 g) with 30 foot cable
Cable: 30-foot cable with JST ZHR-8 connector housing with 8 JST SZH-002T-PO.5 pin socket contacts
* Warm = all data known. Cold = position, time and almanac known.
AutoLocate = almanac known, position and time unknown. SkySearch = no data known.
** Subject to accuracy degradation to 100m 2DRMS under the U.S. Department of Defense-imposed Selective Availability Program.
Specifications are subject to change without notice.NOTE: The GPS 17HVS, part # 010-00242-53, replaces the old one, part # 010-00242-03. The new model features a removable mast mount base.
Con: It does not come with the DB-9 connector. You have to make the RS-232 interface yourself. There is no GPS map software either.
You May Also Be Interested In...
- Automotive GPS Units
- Handheld GPS Units
- Wrist / Fitness GPS
- Chartplotters / GPS
- Fishfinders / GPS
- Motorcycle / ATV GPS
- Two-Way Radio / GPS
- Safety & Tracking
- Camping & Outdoors