Garmin StreetPilot c550 Bluetooth Automotive Traffic GPS System DISCONTINUED
NOTE: This item has been discontinued by Garmin. It is replaced by the nuvi 265T (click here), with a slimmer shape and new features.
Come "c" the latest generation of portable in-car navigation at Tiger GPS. The Garmin StreetPilot c550 updates the c300 line with Bluetooth cell phone support, an integrated traffic receiver, MP3 player, text-to-speech instructions, a new high-sensitivity SiRFStarIII GPS receiver, a new anti-glare display, security features, and more!
New c500 Series Features
In addition to the simple touch-screen display found in previous versions, the StreetPilot c550 comes loaded with new c500 series features including:
- High-sensitivity GPS receiver - provides faster acquisition times and maintains signal under heavy foliage and near city skyscrapers
- Automotive-grade, sunlight-readable, anti-glare display - makes it easier to see where you're going
- Streamlined design - creates a slimmer, more refined shape
- Configurable vehicle icons - allows you to select a fun, customized car-shaped icon that displays when autorouting
- Garmin Lock - anti-theft feature that disables the unit from performing any functions until you type in a specific 4-digit PIN or take the unit to a predetermined location.
Features exclusive to the StreetPilot c550 include Bluetooth technology integrated with a microphone and dual speakers that lets you to make hands-free mobile phone calls on a compatible Bluetooth wireless phone. View incoming calls on your c550, and simply tap the screen to answer. Just speak into the built-in microphone while staying focused on your driving. In addition, retrieve and dial numbers from your personalized phone book or the phone's call history log. You can also make calls from the StreetPilot c550's huge points of interest database - which includes hotels, restaurants, stores, and much more. To see if your phone is compatible, click here.
Integrated Traffic Receiver
Another feature unique to the c550 is its integrated traffic capabilities. The c550 includes an integrated traffic receiver which notifies you of traffic, construction and weather delays and automatically suggests alternative routes.
The c550 comes with preloaded maps of North America and includes automatic routing, 2D or 3D map perspective, and turn-by-turn voice directions that speak street names - making navigation easy. It is also an MP3 player and accepts customized points of interest (POIs) such as school zones and safety cameras.
Optional software available on plug-in SD cards, lets you instantly add new features to your c550 - without connecting to your computer.
Travel Guide - gives you helpful and thorough reviews and recommendations for restaurants, hotels, shopping, nightlife, sporting events and tourist attractions. Travel Guide for Europe available for purchase by clicking here. Travel Guide for United States coming soon.
Savers Guide - a "geo-coded" coupon book that notifies you of nearby discounts on restaurants, hotels, shopping, and more at thousands of participating Entertainment businesses throughout North America.
How is it different?
Q: How does the StreetPilot c500 line differ from the StreetPilot c300 line?
A: The StreetPilot c500 line revamps the design of the c300 with a slimmer unit that is easier to view in sunlight. The c500 series adds a new high-sensitivity SiRF Star III GPS receiver, and can take additional software such as travel guides as well.
Q: What is the difference between the StreetPilot c550, c530 and c510?
A: At this point, the c550 has four features not found on the the c530: (1) Bluetooth cell phone support, (2) mp3 player, (3) included, integrated traffic receiver and (4) text-to-speech voice directions. Both the c550 and c530 come fully pre-loaded with City Navigator North America. The c510 is a European version with only a regional map; it is not sold in North America.
Garmin StreetPilot "c"-series Feature Matrix
|New Anti-Glare Screen||No||No||No||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Pre-Loaded Maps of North America||No, but CD-ROM Included||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|SiRF StarIII GPS Chip||No||No||No||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Live Traffic||No||No||GTM 12||GTM 20||Included||MSN Direct|
"Feature Matrix" Copyright © 2007 TigerGPS.com, Ltd. All rights reserved.
"How is it different" Copyright © 2006 TigerGPS.com, Ltd. All rights reserved.
- StreetPilot c550
- Preloaded City Navigator NT North America
- 12-volt adapter with GTM 20 integrated FM TMC traffic receiver with free 3- month trial U.S. subscription (traffic not necessary for power)
- Vehicle suction-cup mount
- Dashboard disk
- USB interface cable
- Carry case
- Quick reference guide
StreetPilot c550 Specifications
Moving map features
- Storage: Preprogrammed with City Navigator NT, providing street-level detail and addresses, plus listings of restaurants, hotels, ATMs, etc., throughout the U.S., Canada and Puerto Rico
- Map Scale: Screen-width scale 640 feet to 4,000 miles
- Routes: Automatically calculated with turn-by-turn instructions; automatic off-route recalc shows how to get back on track if you miss a turn or exit; a detour function enables routing around traffic problems or road construction
- Voice: Navigation instructions and warnings with TTS (text-to-speech) - unit prompts you to "turn right on Main street"
- Traffic: Alerts for traffic, road construction and weather-related tie-ups. StreetPilot uses data to suggest alternate routes before problems are encountered
- Waypoints: 500 with name and graphic symbol
- Trip computer: Resettable odometer, timers, average and maximum speeds
- Hands-free calling: When paired with compatible Bluetooth wireless cell phones, user can simply touch c550 screen to answer or disconnect a call. Speak into c550's built-in microphone or accessory mic while driving
- Phone book: Stores contact numbers from paired phones that support book transfer
- Dialing: One-touch dialing for stored contacts, points of interest (POI dial) or home. Phones that support voice tags allow hands-free (voice recognition) dialing
- Garmin Lock: When enabled, user must input PIN number to use device. Backup feature allows user to associate a security location, which will unlock unit when within 50 meters of that location
- Location-based content: Garmin Travel Guide, SaversGuide and custom points of interest (POIs) like safety cameras and school zones
- Others: Customized vehicle icons for moving map
- Receiver: SiRFstarIII high-sensitivity GPS receiver
- Interfaces: USB 2.0 full-speed
- Antenna: Built-in patch; MCX-type connector for optional external GPS antenna connection
- Size: 4.4"W x 3.2"H x 2.2"D (11.3 x 8.2 x 5.6 cm)
- Weight: .59 pounds (269 g)
- Display: 2.8"W x 2.1"H (7.2 x 5.4 cm); 320 x 240 pixels; sunlight-readable, anti-glare TFT LCD, with white backlight and touch screen
- Case: Not waterproof
- Temp. range: 32°F to 140°F (0°C to 60°C)
- Data storage: Indefinite; no memory battery required
- Input: 12/24v Dc
- Usuage: 15w max. @ 13.8v Dc
- Battery life: up to 8 hours
Although it appears slow accessing the Satellites, early in the mornings and I had to send it back to Garmin, yesterday, because it died.
It is a great travel assistance.
I tried to "trick" the unit by taking every wrong turn in my local area, the unit simply recalculated and did it fast. I have not yet tried out the Blue Tooth phone compatibility but do expect to do that soon enough. This was one of the reasons why I purchased this unit looking forward. There are less expensive models but I think this one will serve us well for a long time. It also has a usb connection which I have yet to use.
You May Also Be Interested In...
- Wrist / Fitness GPS
- Automotive GPS Units
- Handheld GPS Units
- Chartplotters / GPS
- Fishfinders / GPS
- Motorcycle / ATV GPS
- Two-Way Radio / GPS
- Safety & Tracking
- Camping & Outdoors