Magellan RoadMate 1430 Wide-Screen Automotive GPS System with North American Maps & Traffic
The Magellan RoadMate 1430 offers a wide-screen interface in an elegant, ultra-thin design, plus integrated live traffic updates, an intuitive, new user interface, and SayWhere technology, which tells drivers the street name of their next turn. All at an entry-level price point that budget-conscious consumers will appreciate.
What Makes the Magellan RoadMate 1400 Series So Special?
- New 4.3" WQVGA, full-color, anti-glare, touch-screen display
- Wide-screen, ultra-thin form factor with the functionality and navigation features that GPS consumers expect
- Newly designed, intuitive user interface makes the Magellan RoadMate 1430 a breeze to operate
- Centrality Atlas III processor: provides superior GPS performance and navigation
- QuickSpell: intelligently searches and checks spelling when entering addresses
- SmartDetour: prompts drivers to route around heavy or stopped freeway traffic
What Makes the Magellan RoadMate 1430 So Outstanding?
- Integrated Live Traffic Functionality: Includes a free 3-month traffic subscription, which provides real-time traffic updates and automatically reroutes drivers when an alternate route is available.
- SayWhere: Text-to-speech tells drivers the street name of their next turn.
- 6 Million Searchable Points of Interest: Customers can easily search for restaurants, hotels, airports, gas stations, and more. Results include telephone numbers and addresses.
- NAVTEQ ON BOARD: Includes maps of the United States, Puerto Rico, and Canada loaded onto an included SD card.
- Integrated Rechargeable Battery: Enables drivers to operate the Magellan RoadMate 1430 for up to three hours while away from their vehicle. Recharges while driving via the included vehicle power adapter.
Magellan Maestro & RoadMate 2008 FAQs
Q: Why are there so many models available?
A: Magellan has released all these models to help customers choose based on feature set and price range. For basic, A-to-B style navigation, there's the RoadMate 1200/1400 line; for those who want more, there's the Maestro line; and for those who need the best, there's now the Maestro Elite line.
Q: What are the differences in the new RoadMate models?
A: The RoadMate 1200s have 3.5" diagonal screens, while the RoadMate 1400s have 4.3" diagonal screens. The base models, RoadMate 1200 and RoadMate 1400, provide voice prompts and have maps for only the lower 48 United States, plus Puerto Rico and Hawaii, and a databse of 1.3 million points-of-interest (POIs). The RoadMate 1212 and RoadMate 1412 add maps of Canada and Alaska, and upgrade the database to 6 million POIs. The difference in POI data sets is, therefore, pretty big - while a RoadMate 1200/1400 will show, say, a shopping mall, the RoadMate 1212/1412 will actually list the stores in it. In addition, the RoadMate 1212/1412 add text-to-speech voice prompts, meaning that the voice actually says the names of the roads; this is the difference between hearing "turn right in 300 feet" and "turn right on Mulberry Lane in 300 feet" - a huge upgrade. Step up to the RoadMate 1230 and RoadMate 1430, and you'll add an integrated traffic receiver, providing live traffic updates on screen and routing you around stopped and slow roads. You must upgrade the -30 models; the 1x00 and 1x12 models don't have connections for the traffic receiver. After three months of trial coverage, traffic service costs roughly $5/month.
Q: What are the differences in the new Maestro models?
A: Here's where it gets a little tricky.
The Maestro Elite 3270 directly replaces the Maestro 3250, with a new case design and ultra-sensitive screen, plus updated maps and pedestrian mode.
The Maestro 4250 is replaced directly by the Maestro 4350, which has the same screen and case but adds the new OneTouch easy-to-use interface, plus 3D landmarks, video player, updated maps, and pedestrian mode. The Maestro Elite 4370 uses the older interface (no OneTouch) but has an upgraded screen and case, plus expanded Voice Command: while the Voice Command on the Maestro 3250/4250/4350 lets one speak menu commands and shortcuts, the Maestro Elite 4370 accepts voice commands for address entry and additional phrases as well.
The Maestro 5310 is Magellan's first navigation system with a 5" diagonal screen, plus text-to-speech, Bluetooth, live traffic, and other basic features one would find in a Maestro. The latest and greatest, however, is the Maestro Elite 5340, which features a 5" diagonal screen, text-to-speech, Bluetooth, live traffic, advanced Voice Command for menus and addresses, 3D landmarks and 1,400 additional building displayed in 3D, MP3 player, video player, new screen and case, and OneTouch interface. Upgrade to the Maestro Elite 5340+GPRS for access to Google local search and features as well - the first standalone Magellan system with live internet access!
Magellan RoadMate Feature Matrix
|Diag. Screen Size||Maps of U.S.||Maps of Canada||Points of interest (POIs)||Text-to-Speech||Live Traffic|
|RoadMate 1200||3.5"||Yes||No||1.3 Million||No||No|
|RoadMate 1212||3.5"||Yes||Yes||6 Million||Yes||No|
|RoadMate 1230||3.5"||Yes||Yes||6 Million||Yes||Yes|
|RoadMate 1400||4.3"||Yes||No||1.3 Million||No||No|
|RoadMate 1412||4.3"||Yes||Yes||6 Million||Yes||No|
|RoadMate 1430||4.3"||Yes||Yes||6 Million||Yes||Yes|
"Magellan Maestro & RoadMate FAQs/Matrix" Copyright © 2008 TigerGPS.com & Magellan. All rights reserved.
Package IncludesPackage Includes:
- GPS Receiver
- Receiver Cradle
- Windshield Mount
- Cigarette Lighter Adapter (12V DC) with built-in traffic
- Dash Adhesive Disk
- Quick Start Guide
- Manual on CD-ROM
- Processor Centrality Atlas III
- GPS Accuracy 3-5 meters
- Integrated Antenna Yes
- Product Dimensions 3.27" H x 4.57" W x 0.73" D (8.45 cm H x 11.6 cm W x 1.85 cm D)
- Form Factor Wide screen, ultra-thin
- Product Weight 7.1 oz (200 g)
- Screen Size 4.3" (10.4 cm)
- Screen Resolution WQVGA
- Battery Type Li-Ion rechargeable
- Battery Life Up to 3 hours
- User Interface Touch screen
Built-In AAA Travel Information
- AAA TourBook Guide No
- AAA Member Roadside Assistance No
- AAA Show Your Card & Save Member Discounts No
Extra Hardware Features
- USB 1.0
- SD Card Slot Yes
- Memory 64MB
Advanced Software Features
- Map Coverage United States, Puerto Rico, and Canada
- Map Database NAVTEQ ON BOARD
- Searchable Points of Interest 6 million
- SayWhere Text-to-Speech Yes
- Bluetooth Compatibility No
- Voice Command and Control No
- Live Traffic (Integrated RDS / TMC) Free 3-month subscription
- Historic Traffic Data No
- Pedestrian Mode No
- 3D Landmarks No
- Media Player No
- Integrated FM Transmitter No
- QuickSpell Yes
- SmartDetour Yes
- TrueView and 3D Map View Yes
- Night View Yes
- VantagePoint Support Basic
You May Also Be Interested In...
- Automotive GPS Units
- Handheld GPS Units
- Wrist / Fitness GPS
- Chartplotters / GPS
- Fishfinders / GPS
- Motorcycle / ATV GPS
- Two-Way Radio / GPS
- Safety & Tracking
- Camping & Outdoors