Magellan Triton 2000 Touch-Screen Expandable Handheld GPS Rcvr w/ Cam
The Magellan Triton 2000 is unlike any handheld GPS system you've even seen, heard, or felt. It's the first consumer-grade outdoor GPS device with a touch-screen interface, fully integrated microphone and speaker, MP3 player, LED flashlight, digital camera, barometer and 3-axis compass all crammed into a compact and affordable package.
Amazingly easy to use, the Triton 2000 reinvents handheld GPS. A large, 2.7" color touch screen makes it easy to navigate the simple, intuitive menus and control navigation features with a touch.
Use Magellan's exclusive VantagePoint software to easily manage and upload detailed maps, user generated content, updates and upgrades on your PC. View saved routes and tracks, then customize them for future trips or create new ones.
SD-card compatibility makes it easy to expand your navigation capabilities by adding detailed maps and applications. Upload optional detailed topographic maps, marine cartography, and other applications to find your way on all your outdoor adventures. Plus, Triton is the first handheld GPS to offer compatibility with National Geographic maps. These highly detailed nation-wide topographic maps based on USGS 1:24,000 series quads, offer seamless scalability, multi-layer overlays and much more.
Use the 2 mega pixel camera to capture images of your journey. Snap a shot of the amazing view, your adventuring companions and your found geocache or favorite campsite to attach to a waypoint or just to capture the moment. Share your images with friends and family, download the pictures to your PC for posting to the Web, email friends and family or create prints.
Record audio notes for waypoints and play them back with the built-in microphone and speaker. A powerful, low battery consumption LED flashlight helps you find your way in the dark: an invaluable tool for camping and other outdoor recreation.
Additional advanced features include a 3-axis electronic compass and built-in barometer. The electronic compass shows your direction even when standing still and no matter how you hold the unit. The barometer gives you advance notice on the changing weather and helps provide a highly accurate elevation reading.
Triton is designed for precision navigation, offering the fastest GPS positioning acquisition in the industry with the SiRFstarIII chipset. An integrated high-sensitivity antenna provides reliable signal reception even in heavy cloud cover, canyons or deep woods. Built-in signal augmentation reception (WAAS/EGNOS) provides 3-meter accuracy.
Rugged and waterproof, your Triton is built to withstand intense use, accidental impact and immersion in one meter of water for up to 30 minutes (IPX-7). It's ready to guide you across any terrain in the great outdoors.
Touch-screen technology makes it easy to use all the advanced features. View the elevation profile for the trail ahead (or any route) or even the track you just traveled. See the precise time of sunrise/sunset any day of the year. Get a calculation of the best hunting and fishing time. And much more.
Triton is built on the experience of GPS users and nearly 20 years of precision positioning technology from Magellan. Triton 2000: turn the outdoors into your own backyard!
- Triton 2000 GPS receiver
- USB data cable
- 2 AA batteries
- Spare Styli (5)
- VantagePoint software
- Quick reference guide
- Reference manual on CD-ROM
Magellan Triton 2000 Features:
- 2.7" color touch screen control - The latest touch-screen technology is built in to the large brilliant color display. Control navigation and advanced features with a touch
- 2 MP camera - Take clear beautiful pictures of your adventure as you navigate to attach them to waypoints so you can easily find your way back to the same spot or just to share with family and friends
- Amazing ease-of-use - Reinventing handheld GPS, simple menus, instant access buttons, intuitive scroll pad and crystal clear graphics let you navigate without the need for a Ph.D.
- Voice recorder - Microphone and speaker enable you to record audio notes for waypoints to share with friends and family or easily find your way back next time
- Flashlight - Light your way with a powerful LED flashlight. Low power consumption helps maximize battery life.
- 3-axis electronic compass - Get an accurate compass reading even while standing still and no matter how you hold the unit
- Barometer - Sensitive barometric pressure readings offer advance notice of changing weather and assists in providing accurate elevation
- SD-card expansion - Use your own SD memory cards to upload unlimited detailed maps and store routes, waypoints, geocaches and more
- Built-in maps - Basemap of the 48 contiguous United States, Alaska, and Canada (major highways, city centers, parks, lakes and more) plus worldwide geographic boundaries
- Add detailed maps - Upload optional marine cartography, topographic maps, and more, including the highly-detailed and feature-packed National Geographic Maps to the available memory or SD card
- Points of interest - Preprogrammed points of interest include parks, city centers, airports, historical monuments and more
- Compass screen - See your direction of travel, distance and position of destination, heading, bearing, speed and more on the beautiful graphic compass
- 3-meter accuracy - SiRFstarIII chipset and integrated multidirectional antennae offer superior GPS accuracy using the Wide Area Augmentation System (WAAS)
- Digital music player - Upload your digital music to the available memory or own SD card and enjoy a customized soundtrack as you explore. Plug in any standard headphones for clear private listening
- External antenna connector - Simply plug in an external antenna in your boat or off-road vehicle for enhanced GPS signal reception
- Audio jack - Plug in any standard 1/8" headphones to enjoy clear private listening of your digital music, voice notes and other recordings
Magellan Triton 2000 Specifications:
- Display: 2.7" (6.9cm) diagonal QVGA, color
- Waterproof: IPX-7, submersion in up to one meter of water for 30 minutes
- USB: 1.1
- GPS Chipset: SiRFstarIII
- User Interface: Touch-screen & Keypad
I get the feeling Triton rushed this into our hands without working out all the bugs and there are alot. Go to Magellen reviews and see what others had to say.
I sent my 2000 back for a refund. This Triton 500 comes with Vantage Point software. I may try this one next. Because like I said I love the looks and feel of the Triton, too bad it does not stand up to what they claim.
Buttons are hard to push, menus are confusing, fatal application errors requiring restarts every few hours, battery life of 2-3 hours rather than the advertised 10. Documentation is sketchy, customer support pitiful. Windows Vista compatibility is a problem. Alarms do not work; the unit shuts itself down without warning. There have been multiple firmware updates, but several features such as trails are not supported: tracks can be saved as trails but then cannot be erased without wiping all your waypoints. As of May there is still no car mounting bracket available. (this is why I was checking the site today).
EVENTUALLY this may be an excellent GPS, but Magellan seems to have released an early beta version. I cannot recommend it until Magellan works out the bugs.
As a final note, the base map is useless: it gives you towns and interstate-sized highways and nothing else. So you must buy a detail map. And as of May 2008 there is no compatible road navigation software.
You May Also Be Interested In...
- Automotive GPS Units
- Handheld GPS Units
- Wrist / Fitness GPS
- Chartplotters / GPS
- Fishfinders / GPS
- Motorcycle / ATV GPS
- Two-Way Radio / GPS
- Safety & Tracking
- Camping & Outdoors