SPOT Handheld Satellite Messenger
NOTE: This item requires a subscription fee of $99 per year or $9.99 per month, plus additional fees for additional services. Click here or see below for more details.
With the SPOT Satellite Messenger, you and your loved one have peace of mind knowing help is always within reach. SPOT is the only device of its kind, using the GPS satellite network to acquire its coordinates, and then sending its location - with a link to Google Maps - and a pre-programmed message via a commercial satellite network. And unlike Personal Locator Beacons, SPOT does more than just call for help. Tracking your progress, checking in with loved ones, and non-emergency assistance are also available, all at the push of a button. And because it uses 100% satellite technology, SPOT works around the world - even where cell phones don't.
Whether you're just checking in, allowing others to track your progress, or calling for help - SPOT gives you a vital line of communication with friends and family when you want it, and emergency assistance when and where you need it. And since it utilizes 100% satellite technology, SPOT works around the world - even where cell phones don't.
ALERT 9-1-1: Use this function In the event of a life threatening or other critical emergency to notify emergency services of your exact location and that you need assistance.
How It Works: Once activated, SPOT will acquire its exact coordinates from the GPS network, and send that location along with a distress message to a GEOS International Emergency Response Center every five minutes until cancelled. The Emergency Response Center notifies the appropriate emergency responders based on your location and personal information - which may include local police, highway patrol, the Coast Guard, our country's embassy or consulate, or other emergency response or search and rescue teams - as well as notifying your emergency contact person(s) about the receipt of a distress signal.
Important Note: Even if SPOT cannot acquire its location from the GPS network it will still attempt to send a distress signal - without exact location - to the Emergency Response Center, which will still notify your contacts of the signal and continue to monitor the network for further messages.
SPOT sends your GPS coordinates to a GEOS Emergency Response Center every 5 minutes, allowing you to keep moving if necessary. Emergency responders are then updated with your last known location.
|Because it uses 100% satellite technology, SPOT works virtually anywhere. All it needs is a clear view of the sky. 9-1-1 Emergency Services Powered by GEOS Alliance.|
GEOS offers a wide variety of services that encompass security, safety and reliable communications for corporations as well as domestic and international travelers. The GEOS program is delivered through a fusion of state-of-the-art technology with the unparalleled experience of the very best and most respected specialists in the fields of international, personal and corporate protection and communications. To learn more about GEOS and the full range of services offered worldwide, visit http://www.geosalliance.com/sar.
CHECK IN: Also known as SPOTcheckingSM, this feature allows you to let your SPOTteam - the friends and family you have chosen as your contacts - know that all is well, notify them of your location, or save waypoints so you can review your route at a later date.
How It Works: When you press the OK button, SPOT acquires your exact location from the GPS network and routes it through the SPOT satellite network. Your contacts receive either an SMS text message on their mobile phone with your message and coordinates, or an email with your message and a link to Google Maps showing your exact location.
Important Note: Once you have activated your SPOT account, you can change your contacts and customize your SPOTcheckingSM message at any time.
|An example of a SPOTcheckingSM message received via email by a SPOT user's personal contact. Message is customizable.|
|By clicking on the link provided in a SPOTcheckingSM email, your personal contacts are shown your exact location via Google Maps.|
TRACK PROGRESS: Also known as SPOTcastingSM, this feature allows friends and family to follow your progress in real time, or to save waypoints so you can review your entire route at a later date.
How It Works: Once activated, SPOT acquires and sends your GPS coordinates to your SPOT account every 10 minutes. Anyone with access to your account information can log on and view your route, complete with virtual views provided by Google Maps. To continue tracking on longer journeys, the SPOTcastingSM function must be re-activated every 24 hours.
Important Note: Additional subscription fees apply for this function. Click here for details.
|SPOTcastingSM sends a message to your account every 10 minutes, allowing friends and family the ability to log on and track your progress in real time.|
|By selecting the desired "Track" messages in your account log and clicking "Show On Map," your entire route can be displayed through Google Maps.|
ASK FOR HELP: In the event of a non-life threatening emergency, you can use this function to notify your SPOTteam - the friends and family you have chosen as your contacts - that you need assistance.
How It Works: Once activated, SPOT acquires your exact location from the GPS network and routes it along with the HELP message through the SPOT satellite network every five minutes for one hour or until cancelled. Your contacts will receive an SMS text message including coordinates, or an email with a link to Google Maps showing your exact location.
Important Note: Even if SPOT cannot acquire its location from the GPS network it will still attempt to send a HELP message - without exact location - to your contacts.
An example of a HELP message received via email by a SPOT user's personal contacts.
By clicking on the link provided in a HELP email, your personal contacts are shown your exact location via Google Maps. HELP messages are sent every 5 minutes, allowing you to keep moving if necessary.
Power: SPOT has a separate power button to ensure long battery life and to help avoid sending messages accidentally. To turn SPOT on, press the ON/OFF button. You must then wait an additional 2 seconds before activating any SPOT function. When power is on, the indicator light will blink once every 3 seconds. This is also helpful for making SPOT more visible in the dark. To turn SPOT off, press and hold the ON/OFF button for 3 seconds.
SPOT is designed for maximum reliability. Spot performs a self-diagnostic test each time it is powered on. Additionally, Spot strongly recommends that you send and verify an OK/Check message each time before use. This allows you to evaluate your entire messaging system, from the operational condition of the messenger to the readiness of those you've chosen to notify of your messages.
$99.99 USD/yr basic satellite service subscription includes:
- ALERT 9-1-1: Dispatch emergency responders to your exact location. Unlimited usage included.
- CHECK IN: Let contacts know where you are and that you're okay. Unlimited usage included.
- ASK FOR HELP: Request help from friends and family at your exact location. Unlimited usage included.
- TRACK PROGRESS: $49.99/yr USD Tracking Upgrade Option
- Send and save your location and allow contacts to track your progress using Google Maps.
- GEOS Search & Rescue Benefit $7.95/yr USD (if purchased at initial activation. $150.00 USD afterwards)
- Provides up to $100,000 USD of additional search and rescue resources, including helicopter extraction around the world and reimbursement benefits underwritten by Lloyd’s of London for any emergency service expenses incurred. For more information, including terms and conditions, visit http://www.geosalliance.com/sar
- SPOT Satellite Messenger
- 2 AA Lithium Batteries
- User's Guide
SPOT features four key functions that enable users to send messages to friends, family or emergency responders, based upon varying levels of need:
Alert 9-1-1 – Dispatch emergency responders to your exact location
- SPOT sends one message every 5 minutes until power is depleted or 911 is cancelled.
- SPOT sends one message every 5 minutes for one hour or until Help is cancelled
- SPOT sends three identical messages to the SPOT service for redundancy. The first of those three messages is delivered.
- SPOT sends one message every 10 minutes for 24 hours or until SPOT is powered off.
CoverageSPOT works around the world, including virtually all of North America, Europe and Australia, portions of South America, Northern Africa and Northeastern Asia, and hundreds or thousands of miles offshore of these areas. See coverage on findmespot.com for maps and current coverage.
Battery LifeIncludes 2 AA lithium batteries; under normal usage a full battery charge should meet or exceed the following
- Power on, unused: Approx. 1 year
- SPOTcasting tracking mode: Approx. 14 days
- 9-1-1 mode: Up to 7 consecutive days
- SPOTcheck OK/v: 1900 messages
Operating ConditionsSPOT works around the world virtually anywhere
- Operating Temperatures: -40°F to +185°F
- Operating Altitude: -300ft to +21,000ft
- Floats in water
- Waterproof to 1 meter for up to 30 minutes
- MIL-STD-810E Method 507.3, 95% to 100% condensing
Salt Fog Rated
- Per MIL_STD 810E Method 509.3, 5% NaCl, 95% distilled water
- Per SAE J1455
- Random, 20 Hz to 2000 Hz, 0.04g2/Hz, one hour per axis
- Dropped twice on all six sides from one meter onto hard surface.
- OSHA certified Intrinsically Safe to Class 1, Division 1, Group A-D standards.
- ROHS and WEEE compliant.
- Certified to FCC and CE emissions, immunity and safety regulations.
- Meets FCC part 25 regulations, Canada type approval, CISPR Publication 22 (1985 1st Edition), RTTE Directive (1999/EC), IEC 60950 safety standard, and European EMC Directive 89/336/EEC.
Hope this helps
You May Also Be Interested In...
- Wrist / Fitness GPS
- Automotive GPS Units
- Handheld GPS Units
- Chartplotters / GPS
- Fishfinders / GPS
- Motorcycle / ATV GPS
- Two-Way Radio / GPS
- Safety & Tracking
- Camping & Outdoors